Microphones, Mixers, Confusion and personal ongoings :)


The venue as I think I mentioned before is a Village hall located in lovely Stoke Gabriel and up to 100 people may possibly be attending, and our goal is to capture the live performance of the gig in its entirety and take it off for mixing and submit it as part of our coursework for our degree.

Ok went into college today to sort out equipment for the recording session with fellow students Michael and Matthew we established what microphones we had available at our disposal and what recording equipment we could use on the night that seemed to go all very smoothly.

The confusion comes with the method of recording.... we have 3 maybe four options in which to record the Orchestra and only 1 hr to setup on the night! oh the joy of it all, this is why im very glad we showed the initiative to attend early to sort equipment out as oppose to the 7th October which was our starting date which would have left us no time at all to sort things out.

Microphones are sorted and we have them pre-booked and ready at hand for when we need them the next is the interface to use for recording, we either have the option of taking a Digidesign 002 rack which will accept up to 4 microphones directly into the interface, but the problem we face is we may possibly need 5 microphones which in that case we may need to book a mixer out of college for that (grrr more stuff to throw around so much for a simple setup eh) which in that case I will be trying out a mini Alesis mixer which will accept 8 XLR inputs directly I just need to test the sound quality out and the ability to use it as an interface, which if the case would allow us to remove the Digidesign 002 rack out of the equation.

and all of this will be run off my little Macbook laptop (god bless technology in small devices) running directly from the mixer into Logic 9 via Firewire cable.

That aside im really looking forward to getting back into my 2nd Year of the course although being very grateful for the time off, things are abit too laid back for my liking and its time to squeeze the agenda and pressure on ;)

on the home front Mike (Doctor Castille) and myself are making advances on the song writing front and the current song were working on temp title of 'Edge of Time' is making good steady progress, were at the stage of putting the production together and making tweaks as we go along, still yet to devise a 2nd verse put were banging our heads together and im sure that is just a minor issue :)

right Blog 2 done and more from me very soon take care all and have a good day :)

-Clint

1 comments:

sjoseph001 said...

Hi Clint,
I've subscribed to you on youtube and have listened to loads of your amazing covers.
I'm looking to record my covers mainly so I can playback and listen to myself and look at ways to improve.
I'd be really happy if you could tell me what kind of microphone I should use to hook up to my macbook.
Can I use apple pre-installed software on my laptop or do I need something else. I'm also looking to add some reverb to my voice as well.
Any advice you can offer is really great.
Cheers!

Post a Comment